Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Morgue the Merrier (Anthology)

The Morgue the Merrier is a contemporary anthology with stories by Rosemary Laurey, Karen Kelley (2 stories) and Dianne Castell. They all take place in a town called Christmastown during the Christmas season. They do all have helpful ghosts in them but don't really feel like paranormal stories.

A note about rating: The ratings I give the books are only a note to tell me how much I enjoyed the book. They don't reflect how well written I think the books are (though that is a part of it) or how much I think others will enjoy it. I like certain things in a book, such as kick-ass heroines, time travel, companion animals, humor, tortured heroes, and so on, that others may not. A 5 rating reflects a book I think of as average. I usually rate higher because I pick books to read that I think I will enjoy a lot and I'm usually right.

The Morgue the Merrier's stories were all like meringue--sweet but insubstantial. They are a quick read but you're unlikely to remember much about them the next day. They are not bad, they are not great, they are just your average contemporary romance stories with a bit more humor than usual. The one by Rosemary Laurey was marginally better than the others, but they are all quite similar.

I'd rate this book a 5 out of 10. It might be fun if you want to get in the Christmas mood or if you want a light, uncomplicated read.

No comments: