Monday, September 29, 2008

Immortals: The Redeeming by Jennifer Ashley

This is the 5th in the Immortals series. One of the unusual things about the series is that 3 different writers are working on it. Jennifer Ashley wrote the 1st, 4th and 5th. The next book, Immortals: the Crossing, is by Joy Nash and is out on September 30. I didn't notice a big difference between the authors, they all did a good job. It's important to read the books in order or you'll miss a lot.

Immortals: The Redeeming was a little bit disappointing. It's not that the book was bad, it wasn't. I think it's that I was expecting something different. Redeeming's hero is Tain, who was tortured for 700 years, and I thought it would be more about his recovery and his love story with the half-demon Samantha. While that was included, it seemed secondary to the mystery of who was killing the demons in town and the power struggles among one demon clan. There were some good secondary characters, especially Logan the werewolf (I wonder if he'll get his own book) and Merrick the demon. There was a lot of action and the story moved at a good pace, but I think it could have packed more of an emotional wallop.

I'd rate it a 7.0 out of 10.

No comments: