Thursday, September 25, 2008

Lord Perfect by Loretta Chase

I recently discovered Loretta Chase when I read Lord of Scoundrels and loved it. I've been trying to find all her backlist books since then.

Lord Perfect doesn't quite reach the heights of Lord of Scoundrels, but it is great fun. It's original, it's fast moving and it's very funny. The best part of the book is the characters--the hero and heroine, of course, but also the secondary characters, who are all outstanding.

There are a few things this book has going for it that predisposes me to like it. I like strong heroines, and Bathsheba is certainly that. I like strong, serious heroes such as Benedict who have to learn how to have fun and live a little. I love books that are witty and clever.

I usually do NOT like children in books, often finding them stereotypes or just plain annoying. But the two children in this book, Peregrine and Olivia, were amazing. They were a joy to read about and they really helped keep the book moving at a rapid pace.

I'd give this book an 8 out of 10 and look forward to reading more of Loretta Chase's historicals.

No comments: