Saturday, December 20, 2008

Hunting the Hunter by Shiloh Walker

This is a very interesting vampire book which is part of a series. I didn't realize that until I had finished it and looked the author up on Amazon to see what else she had written, so obviously you don't have to read them in order. It is in a similar vein to the J.R. Ward books and the Keri Arthur books, but with some differences. There's more of an emphasis on the relationship between the hero and heroine in this story, and less on secondary characters and worldbuilding.

I've been trying to figure out why I liked this book so much and all I can come up with is the author's voice and her style of writing is masterful. Although the plot is not very original (hunting down a rogue vampire,) it's done with more depth and more insights into the villian than is usual. The characters are not particularly original either (the vampire Hunter who protects the world and the human who loves her) but I came to know them and empathize with them. There is a lot of action and the book moves quickly, but it is the writing that makes this book stand out.

I'll rate this book a 7.5 out of 10 and am looking forward to reading more books by Shiloh Walker.

No comments: