Saturday, December 6, 2008

Guarded Heart by Jennifer Blake

Guarded Heart is part of Blake's Masters at Arms series. This book was a bit different than most of the books I read. It had a slower pace, entirely in keeping with the 1844 New Orleans setting, and had a very strong sense of atmosphere. This author obviously knows her history and her area, not surprising since she is a 7th generation Louisianian.

I very much enjoyed travelling back in time with Jennifer Blake and I thought the plot was interesting and original. It's not often that we see a heroine with the determination that Ariadne has. Gavin, the sword master, is just what you'd want in a hero and he seems very human, not too perfect like some. The action scene at the end of the book did strain credulity but kept me turning the pages as fast as I could to see what would happen.

This was quite a change from the fast paced, sometimes verging on frenetic, dark paranormals I read, or the light and witty English historicals. It gave me time to savor the small details and enjoy learning all the secrets of this well-matched couple. I'll rate it a 7.5 out of 10 and I'll be looking for more of her books set in New Orleans.

No comments: