Monday, October 13, 2008

Kitty Takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn

Kitty Takes a Holiday is the 3rd book in Vaughn's series about a werewolf named Kitty (ha ha) who has a radio talk show called The Midnight Hour. I enjoyed the first two books in the series a lot. This one, not so much.

I felt this book was too dark and depressing. I usually don't mind dark as long as there is a happy ending. Yep, you guessed it--no happy ending. Not a horrible ending, but certainly not happy. I had to push myself to finish this book, I kept getting bogged down. There wasn't a lot of action and there was too much angst (and I like angst--up to a point.) Kitty is taking a break from her radio show in this book, and I really missed it. The radio show callers and guests provided some much needed humor and insight in the previous two books.

Some important things happen to Kitty in this book so unfortunately I can't recommend skipping it if you want to keep up with the series. In the next book in the series, which I already have, she returns to her radio show, so I have hopes that this book was just an aberration and Vaughn will be back in fine form for Kitty and the Silver Bullet. I'd rate this book a 5.5 out of 10.

No comments: