Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Be Mine Tonight by Kathryn Smith

Be Mine Tonight is the first book by Kathryn Smith I've read. It is a historical vampire novel, a genre that is not very common and one I enjoy. It is set in Cornwall in 1899.

This book is perfectly adequate. I know that sounds like "damned by faint praise" but I actually liked this book and would read more by this author. But there is not much about it that is outstanding. I did really like the heroine, who was interesting and strong (mentally, not physically) even while she was dying. The vampire hero was properly heroic, but I got a little annoyed with how he persisted in thinking he was cursed. I thought the plot was a bit thin and it could have used more action, but it never got bogged down. A couple of the secondary characters had promise, but could have been developed more.

This is a good choice if you are in the mood for a quick, uncomplicated historical vampire read. I'd rate it 6.5 out of 10.

No comments: