Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Down Home Zombie Blues by Linnea Sinclair

I am a huge Linnea Sinclair fan. She wrote one of my favorite books, Games of Command, which is possibly the best science fiction romance novel available today. Her other books such as Gabriel's Ghost and Finders Keepers are all terrific.

The Down Home Zombie Blues is my least favorite of her books. This doesn't mean that it's bad, it just didn't thrill me the way all her other books have. I think part of the problem is that it mainly takes place on Earth which is not nearly as exciting as a spaceship or other planet. Also, the hero was nice but he was a little too perfect and well, just a bit boring. I did like the strong heroine, though. The secondary characters, as in all Sinclair books, were wonderful. The plot was okay, just not as interesting as in her other books. Zombies don't make for very complex villains and we don't find out enough about the other villains, the Tresh.

I'd rate this 7 out of 10, and recommend you start with one of Sinclair's other books if you've never read her.

No comments: