Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Serpent Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt

The Serpent Prince is the third book in Hoyt's The Princes trilogy. The books are very loosely connected and you don't have to read them in order.

Elizabeth Hoyt is one of my favorite historical romance authors. She has a fresh voice, interesting characters far from the stereotypes we so often see in historicals and she writes hot and emotional sex scenes.

The Serpent Prince is my least favorite of the three books, but I think that's because I didn't have as much empathy with this hero as I did with the heroes in The Raven Prince and The Leopard Prince. It was still a very enjoyable book and I enjoyed the plot device of the fairy tale the hero told the heroine.

What I liked about this book:
The writing is a notch above the usual historicals. The characters are more complex and interesting than the usual, including the secondary characters. There's a nice sense of atmosphere without getting bogged down in too many historical details. There are some unexpected twists and the ending is both surprising and satisfying.

I'd rate The Serpent Prince 7.5 out of 10.

No comments: