Thursday, March 12, 2009

Howl at the Moon by Christine Warren

Howl at the Moon is the fourth in Warren's Others series. It is set in a world like ours except with paranormal creatures like shapeshifters, demons, vampires, etc. The series is centered on one pack of werewolves who live in New York. I've read the first three books as well and it was nice to see characters from those play a part in this one. I don't think you have to read the others first to enjoy Howl at the Moon, though.

The heroine, Sam, is a werewolf and the hero, Noah, is a human. That is a nice change since it seems the male is usually the "other" and the female a human. It was great to have a heroine who was stronger than the hero for once. I liked both of them, although I did think Sam forgave Noah a bit too easily.

The plot line about the DNA research was interesting, but not as much as the relationship between Sam and Noah. There was a lot of sexual tension and some nice bits of humor. I especially liked the scene when Noah met Sam's family. The action and suspense was slow in the first half of the book, but really took off in the second half. The ending was satisfying, but did leave me with a couple of minor questions.

This is an enjoyable read if you like werewolves. I'll give it 7.0 out of 10.

No comments: