Thursday, March 5, 2009

Too Many Good Books?

I've been giving out some high ratings lately and I'm about to do more, so I thought I'd explain. Since I get to pick which books I review, I pick books I think I'll like. Often they are books by authors that I enjoy or books that caught my attention because they got high reviews.

I have started quite a few mediocre books, but haven't finished them. I am more likely to finish books I like quickly, although this is not always true. Sometimes I misplace the good ones (if you saw all the books in my house you'd know how easy to do this is) or sometimes I put off finishing a book because I don't want it to be over.

I really don't like reviewers who rate everything they read a 9 or 10. That's one reason I'll never rate anything a 10 (except for Jane Austen's books--I'm a total Austen fangirl.) In my system, a book rated 5 is average so it's a respectable rating. A book rated 8 or 9 is very good indeed.

No comments: