Saturday, February 21, 2009

Vexing the Viscount by Emily Bryan

Vexing the Viscount has one of the best first chapters I've ever read. It has it all--humor, mystery, sexual tension, a fascinating look at history and original characters. I knew after the first few pages that I was going to love this book and I was right.

This book is hard to classify because it fits in neither the light and funny historical romance category or the dark and emotional category but manages to be both. It has wonderful humor and is a fast paced read that never slows down, but it also deals with some serious themes and tugs at the emotions. There are some twists and turns that I did not expect, and the action-packed ending has a big surprise.

I adored the heroine, Daisy, who is so natural and easy to sympathize with. She's smart and brave, yet vulnerable. The sexy Lucian, Viscount Rutland, is not your typical aristocrat. Besides being more intelligent and responsible, he is impoverished and desperate for funds. Instead of the usual plot device of having the hero try to marry an heiress, the author goes in a much more interesting direction. Lucian is convinced that he has found clues to a Roman treasure and he tries to find it to change his fortune.

There is so much going on in this book that it's amazing the author could fit it all in. Yet nothing seems rushed, it all fits perfectly and adds to the story. This is a book with depth and soul, yet it also had me on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen next. I applaud Emily Bryan for creating a wonderful historical romance and can't wait to read her next work.

I'll rate this book a 9.0 out of 10.

No comments: