Monday, February 9, 2009

Taken By a Viking by Michelle Styles

I picked up this book because I was in the mood for a medieval historical. There aren't that many of them out there and I hadn't read one in a long time. Unfortunately, I wasn't very impressed with this one.

Taken By the Viking is...no surprise here...about a woman, Annis, who is kidnapped from Northumbria in 793 and taken to Haakon Haroldson's homeland to be held for ransom. I thought the book was well written, I just didn't ever really care about the characters. I did think the writer did a good job of integrating the history into the story and it felt accurate to me (though I am no expert on that period.) I liked the action sequences, particularly at the end of the book.

I'm not sure why I never felt drawn into this story. It may be that it was more my fault than the author's. I plan to try another medieval to see if maybe the period just doesn't catch my interest. I'd rate this book a 6.5 out of 10.

No comments: