Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Zen and the Art of Vampires by Katie MacAlister

Zen and the Art of Vampires reminded me of just how much I enjoy Katie MacAlister's books. They are pure escapism--fast, fun, sexy and more than little bizarre.

This book is listed as the 6th in the Dark Ones series but I think it stands alone. You certainly don't have to have read the others (although I have) to follow what is going on. It's a bit different than the average paranormal romance because it does not have a HEA ending, but the story continues in the next book (Crouching Vampire, Hidden Fang, out May 5) and I'm confident that one will have the HEA.

The story features Pia, who is pushing forty and takes a singles tour to Europe in hopes it will spark her love life. Boy, does it ever, but certainly not in the way she imagined. The book takes place in Iceland, which I found an interesting setting. There are two potential vampire heroes, Alec and Kristoff, and many twists and turns in their complicated relationship. She does end up with one of them, but neither of them is overjoyed. I can't wait to see how their issues are resolved in the next book.

I have read some negative reviews of this book, which I don't entirely understand. I think Katie MacAlister may be one of those authors you either enjoy or you don't. Like Nora Roberts for me--I just don't get her appeal. I do enjoy MacAlister's sense of humor, her originality, her wacky secondary characters and her likable heroines. Yes, Pia can be a bit whiny and she makes mistakes, but that just makes her more believable to me.

If you're in the mood for a funny, light, action packed paranormal, Zen and the Art of Vampires fits the bill. I'd rate it 7.5 out of 10.

No comments: