Monday, November 24, 2008

One Silent Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Even a bad book by Sherrilyn Kenyon is better than many authors' best books. And One Silent Night is by no means a bad book. But it is not her best. I say that having read every one of her books (except for The Dark-Hunter Companion), including the anthology stories.

This is an interesting book, though I think you might be totally lost if you haven't read her previous books. Even for a big fan like me, it was hard to keep track of the different kinds of demons and other creatures. It had a fairly simple plot and moved quickly. It was nice to see some of the other characters we've come to love play a role in this story, particularly Nick who has an important part. I'm assuming his story will (finally) be coming soon.

The main character (I hesitate to say hero) of the book is Stryker, who we've seen before as the big bad guy. Although he does become more sympathetic in this book, and we learn the reasons he is like he is, it's still not enough for me to forgive him for all that he's done. I don't actually think he deserved a happy ending, although the heroine, Zephyra, did. I liked Zephyra because she was such a kick-ass bitch, I just wish she'd killed Stryker like she wanted to and lived happily ever after with someone else.

I'd rate this book a 6.5 out of 10, but don't let that deter you from reading other Sherrilyn Kenyon books because at her best she is fantastic.

No comments: